After discovering the beauty of Sri Lanka, Morris traveled north to India for the next leg of his journey. He experienced the beautiful natural landscape of the country and was charmed by the welcoming and helpful people. Always one to meet the locals and make new friends, Morris got to know the true India—from the delicious and spicy food to the traffic and wildlife. Morris shares 5 tips for traveling in India.
1. Driving—don’t dare do it! Hire a driver at any expense. It’s virtually impossible for anyone but a native Indian to negotiate the traffic jams.
2. It is tropical where I was—south of a line drawn from Kochi to Chennai—and even the end of September/first of October is sweltering. Be sure your driver’s AC is working well 12 months of 12.
3. The temples are beautiful. Be prepared to take off your shoes out of respect. The Dharasuram Temple is so splendid. It’s right in there with the greats from the Egyptians, Greeks, Romans, Mayans, Cambodians….Simply exquisite!
4. The food is good but unusual. The euphemism for it is: “adventure eating.” Watch those peppers and spices, and don’t drink unbottled water.
5. Indian beaches are beautiful! Water is beautiful almost everywhere, and I’ve been enchanted every time I’ve seen waves on the Arabian Sea, Bay of Bengal or Indian Ocean.