Use our insider’s guide to Mexico to help in planning your next trip south of the border!
Where to Go:
- Don’t Miss: exploring San Angel, cocktails at Gin Gin
- Stay: Las Alcobas, a Luxury Collection Hotel
San Miguel de Allende
- Don’t Miss: La Parroquia, art classes at Belles Artes
- Stay: Rosewood San Miguel de Allende, Belmond Casa de Sierra Nevada
- Don’t Miss: Whale watching, tequila tasting, art shopping in nearby Puerto Vallarta
- Stay: Four Seasons Resort Punta Mita, The St. Regis Punta Mita Resort
- Dining: 10-15%
- Hotel: Maids $1-2/night, porters $1/bag
- Private Guide: $5-10/person for a half day tour, $10-20/person for full day tour
When to Go
- October – April
- January – March: whale-watching on West Coast
What to eat:
- Avoid” Montezuma’s Revenge” by drinking plenty of purified or bottled water, being cautious of where you eat, and washing your hands.
- Mexican silver, sarapes (woven blankets), huipiles (embroidered dresses), charro hats, and blown glass make great souvenirs.
- Arrange taxis with your hotel to assure they are official taxis.
- Dress is more relaxed and informal, especially in the beach areas.
- Pack lightweight, natural fabrics