Learn more about our neighbor to the north with this Insider’s Guide to Canada!
- Passport, no visa
- Language: English and French
- Currency: Canadian Dollar
WHERE TO GO:
- Stay: Four Seasons Hotel Toronto
- Don’t Miss: The St. Lawrence Market, named the world’s best food market by National Geographic.
- Stay: Shangri-La Hotel Vancouver
- Don’t Miss: Watch the sunset over the North Shore Mountains from English Bay.
- Stay: Ritz-Carlton Montreal
- Don’t Miss: With an Old World European-feel, Montreal is like going to Europe without the jetlag, especially with beautiful buildings like Notre-Dame Basilica.
- Stay: The Fairmont Chateau Lake Louise
- Don’t Miss: Hike around Moraine Lake, a gorgeous glacier fed lake located in the Valley of the Ten Peaks.
- Stay: Fogo Island Inn
- Don’t Miss: Shop for locally made goods on the island
- Dining: 15-20%
- Hotel: $2 per bag for porter; $2-5 per day for housekeeper
- Cab: 10-15%
- Private driver: $10-15 per person per day
- Private Guide: $10-15 per person per day
Talk the Talk
- Canadian = Canuck
- Commotion = kerfuffle
- Bathroom = washroom
- Sneakers = runners
- Don’t you think? = eh?
- One-dollar coin = loonie
- Canadian bacon = back-bacon
- Line = queue
- Maple syrup
- BC Salmon
- PEI Mussels
- Nanaimo bar
Know Before You Go:
- After New York and London, Toronto has the third largest English-speaking theater district, so be sure to plan to attend a play.
- Canada is a playground for adventure enthusiast!
- Spend time in Banff before exploring the Bugaboos – it can be a little jarring after spending time in the peaceful, remote mountains.
- Travel with Rocky Mountaineer to easily explore Western Canada in a comfortable, relax environment – the Gold Leaf service is a must!
- Plan to spend an afternoon at Stanley Park in Vancouver. It features trails, beaches, a water park, miniature train, and more!